Know more about Shatavari and its health benefits. Additionally, learn about Shatavari dosages and uses. How can you use it in your daily life to benefit your health.
The Sanskrit meaning of Shatavari is “the plant with hundred roots”. It is a natural herb that enriched with medical properties. In some scriptures, it is also mentioned that the plant as “one with hundred husbands”. The plant is extremely beneficial for enhancing women’s health as well as enhancing the libido function. This is a female-friendly herb, which is obtained from the roots of the Asparagus racemosus tree belongs to the Liliaceae family.
Shatavari has been used for centuries as a hormone balancer, and a general tonic to uplift female health. It is an adaptogenic herb, which relieves physical and emotional stress, manages diabetes mellitus; prevents high cholesterol, triglyceride levels, and helps in the treatment of bacterial, and fungal infections, edema, infertility, depression, and cancer. It is considered as a staple ayurvedic tonic to remove vitality.
Benefits of Shatavari
- For female reproduction system Shatavari acts as a powerful female-friendly herb. It helps you in the treatment of hormonal problems. It also helps you in treating endometriosis (that is inflammation of the lining of the uterus) and balances hormonal level in the blood, strengthens the female reproductive organs and enhances maturation of the eggs into follicles. If used regularly may also improve fertility.
- Has antioxidant properties The Antioxidant in Shatavari helps in preventing free radical cell damage. It also battles oxidative stress, which causes disease. It is highly saponins. Saponins are compounds with antioxidant abilities. Shatavari root has new antioxidants called racemofuran, asparagines, and racemose.
- Enhances libido Shatavari stimulates the hormones for increasing libido in both men and women. It also increases vitality and stamina in men. It also reduces mental stress and anxiety. It acts as a natural aphrodisiac.
- Useful for the male reproductive system Shatavari is not only used for the female reproductive system, it also beneficial towards improving men’s health. Being a natural antioxidant, it improves the production of male hormones like testosterone and luteinizing hormone. It also treats conditions like erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. It enhances spermatogenesis (i.e. sperm production).
- For lactation Shatavari holds high significance in lactating in women to boost the secretion of milk from the mammary glands. This is extremely beneficial towards the newly born babies since breast milk is ideal for the nourishment and strengthening their immune system.
- Shatavari may treat diarrhea Shatavari is used as the most powerful remedy for diarrhea. Diarrhea may cause serious problems, such as dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Shatavari helps to stop castor oil-induced diarrhea.
- Shatavari may act as a diuretic Shatavari is used as a diuretic in Ayurveda. Diuretics help your body in getting rid of excess fluid. They’re often prescribed for people who have congestive heart failure to remove excess fluid around the heart.
- Helpful in treating ulcers Ulcers are sores in your stomach, small intestine, or esophagus. They may be very painful and can cause serious complications, such as bleeding or perforation. Shatavari was as effective at treating medication-induced gastric ulcers as ranitidine (Zantac). Ranitidine is a drug commonly prescribed to treat ulcers. Though it was less effective against stress-induced ulcers.
- Treats kidney stones Kidney stones are hard deposits that form in your kidneys. As they pass through your urinary tract, they may cause excruciating pain. Most kidney stones are made of oxalates. Oxalates are compounds found in some foods, such as spinach, beets, and French fries. It also increases magnesium concentration in the urine.
- Promotes cardiac functioning Shatavari is one such ayurvedic herb that has been found to have a positive effect on the heart. Being a natural antioxidant and a cardio-protective herb, it plays a crucial role in treating a host of heart ailments. It relaxes the cardiac system, by soothing the mind, which is extremely advantageous for patients suffering from arrhythmias and palpitations. It is also beneficial in strengthening the heart muscles, dropping cholesterol levels in the blood and preventing lipid accumulation, which in turn reduces the risk of atherosclerosis, heart blocks, heart attacks, blood clots, etc.
- Enhances digestion Shatavari is known as an excellent digestive herb. The anti-flatulent property of the root powder of this climber reduces the formation of gas in the alimentary canal, thus preventing flatulence, bloating, and abdominal distension. It also reduces indigestion, increases appetite, and promotes better absorption of nutrients in the body. The abundance of fiber in the root powder makes this a potent remedy for constipation and other digestive issues.
- Manages diabetes The excellent hypoglycemic property of Shatavari plays a significant role in alleviating the blood sugar level of the body. The production of insulin from the pancreatic β-cells becomes active by taking Shatavari root powder. It helps to reduce the breakdown of starch into glucose which in turn leads to low blood glucose levels.
- Helps in weight loss The wealth of flavonoids in Shatavari, helps the body shed excess weight faster. Being loaded with dietary fibers and essential nutrients, when taken regularly, Shatavari not only satiates the hunger pangs but also prevents overeating, hence playing a crucial role in one’s weight loss regimen.
- Helps in respiratory troubles Shatavari is considered as an absolute remedy for all sorts of respiratory troubles. Due to its prevailing anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic, and anti-asthmatic properties, the root powder holds high significance in treating the common cold, cough, and flu symptoms. It also thins and loosens rheum deposits within the chest and nasal cavities and hence eases breathing and helps the body to get rid of mucus. It is also beneficial in treating bronchitis and asthmatic conditions. Daily intake of this herb fortifies the lung tissues and augments lung health.
The effective dosage of Shatavari may vary from person to person depending upon the age, body strength, effects on appetite, severity, and condition of the patient. It is recommended to consult an Ayurvedic doctor, who will evaluate the patient’s indications, past medical conditions, and prescribe an effective dose for a specific period.
- Churna or Powder: or ¼ to ½ tsp consumed twice a day, mixed with milk, juice, or warm water.
- Arishta or Aqueous Tincture: 1-2 tsp, twice a day
- Vati or Tablet/ Capsule: 1-2, twice daily
Since Shatavari, “the Queen of Herbs” has been using in a few Ayurvedic sacred texts as an extreme cure because of its tremendous medical advantages. Being a powerful herb, it treats different issues and improves the health of men and women. It additionally guarantees better working of the heart, controls diabetes, treats eye issues, helps in absorption, and hence improves general endurance and body resistance.