Are you facing continuous dandruff problems? Or, searching for dandruff home remedies? Then read this article to find out home remedies for dandruff and itchy scalp.
Dandruff is a common condition of the scalp that causes white/off-white skin flakes & itching on the scalp. Dandruff is a type of fungus that normally lives on the scalp and feeds on the oils that our hair follicles produce. Though it is not a serious problem, sometimes in some people, it becomes overactive causing the scalp to irritate & produce extra skin cells. And when these extra skin cells die, they fall off from our scalp causing dandruff. And with dandruff home remedies you can completely get rid of this problem easily.
Causes of Dandruff
According to Ayurveda’s Shudra-Roga-Daranakam (which deals with dandruff related problem), Dandruff is caused due to the imbalance of Tridoshas that is Vata, Kapha & Pitta. When you have dry dandruff, it might be due to Vata & Pitta doshas. The increase of these doshas may dry up the natural oils in the scalp causing dry and itchy scalp.
Similarly, when you have oily dandruff, it might be due to the imbalance of Vata, Kapha & Pitta. These imbalances cause the excess deposit of hair oils in the scalp that causes irritation and itchy sensation. There are also other factors involved in creating a dandruff problem. These are:
- Not cleaning your hair regularly: When you have an oily scalp and you do not wash your hair on a regular basis, the oil, dirt & dead skin cells might create dandruff problems. So, it is advisable to wash/shampoo your hair at least 2-3 times in a week with chemical-free ayurvedic shampoo.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis: It is a condition where dandruff is caused by a fungus called Malassezia. In more than 70 percent of dandruff, the case is caused by this fungus. And it is associated with greasy scalp & white/yellow flakes. This fungus normally feeds on the natural oils that our scalp produces.
- Skin Condition: People with certain skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, tinea capitis may more prone to dandruff. Also, people with dry skin have a tendency to dandruff.
- Diet: Eating spicy, oily, & artificially colored foods might trigger inflammations in the body. Also, when our diet lacks essential vitamins & minerals like zinc, vitamin B-complex, Omega-3 fatty acids then it might also create dandruff.
- Mental Stress: According to Ayurveda, when a person is stressed, his/her immune system is lowered & Pitta dosha is triggered. Due to which dandruff and other health problems may occur.
Home Remedies for Dandruff through Ayurveda
Ayurveda works best when it comes to treating dandruff problem. Because it has no side effects and all things used for solving the dandruff problem, it can be found at home and in the garden.
Lemon is a rich source of antioxidants with anti-fungal & anti-bacterial properties.
How to use: Squeeze one lemon and massage the lemon juice onto the scalp for 2-3 minutes. Leave it for 20-30 minutes then rinse it off with water. Repeat this procedure twice or thrice in a week. And you will see amazing results within 10-15 days.
Methi Remedy (Fenugreek):
Widely used home remedy for dandruff.
How to use: Soak fenugreek seeds overnight (or at least 5-6 hours) & prepare a paste from it. Apply this paste on to your scalp and leave it for 1-1.5 hours. You can also add henna or lime juice into the paste if you like. Then wash it off with regular ayurvedic shampoo. For better results repeat this process for once-twice in a week.
Neem is best known for its anti-fungal properties.
How to use: Create a paste of Neem leaves & apply it directly to the scalp. Leave it for 20-30 minutes and then rinse it off with an Ayurvedic shampoo. Or, apply neem oil a night before and wash it off with shampoo. Use this procedure at least 2-3 times a week.
Apply full-fat yogurt on the scalp and leave it there for at least 20-30 minutes. Then wash it off with shampoo. Use this technique for 1-2 times a week for better results.
The dandruff problem will not be solved overnight. So, have patience and continue using the above-mentioned home remedies. Within 15-20 days you will see significant results. Still, if you are seeing no changes in your dandruff problem then it is advisable to consult with an ayurvedic doctor. And for any health-related information or help Contact our experts for free Ayurvedic consultation.