Suffering from common cold/flu/seasonal flu? Know the Ayurvedic home remedies to cure common cold problem.
Due to season change or in the rainy season, many people suffer from congestion, sneezing, and cough which are symptoms of the common cold. These can happen due to the imbalance of Kapha. Ayurveda has invented various types of methods to solve these problems, which are still in use today. With Ayurvedic home remedies, you can easily cure cold & flu-related problems at home. You can also control your health, boost your immunity, and feel good in all seasons of the years.
What are the Causes of Common cold
Sometimes people face dilemma in between two words flu and cold. These two are caused by different viruses, which means that if you have a cold, it cannot develop into flu. The Common cold occurs on the body due to many types of viruses. For the common cold, Rhinoviruses are the most common reason. The virus enters your body through your mouth, eyes, or nose. When someone who is sick with cold/flu, coughs, sneezes, or talks, the virus spreads through droplets in the air to you. Though common cold/flu is not harmful, still it can create discomfort and problems like weakness, headache, sore throat, etc.
Symptoms of common cold might appear in the body within one to three days after exposure to a cold-causing virus. Signs and symptoms may vary from person to person. Cold symptoms typically last about three-four days. Symptoms might be longer in people who smoke. It is quite risky for children younger than six. They take four to ten days to recover, if not treated properly. The common symptoms are:
- Runny nose (clear or watery)
- Mild headache
- Sore throat
- Ear pain
- Fever above 102 degrees F(Adult) and 100 degrees F(Child)
- Pain in the nose and eye area(sinuses) for more than a week
- Breathing problem
- Trouble in swallowing
- Pain or pressure in the chest and belly
- Throat infection
- Pain in the backside of neck
Home Remedy for Common Cold
The home remedy is the best and easiest way to tackle common cold/flu problems as these methods of remedy has been used in Indian households for ages and it has no side effects. You don’t have to buy expensive medicines. The common cold is almost easy to cure. And the best thing is that everything you need can be found in the kitchen and garden.
- Crush 8-10 holy basil leaves with 4-5 cloves. Boil them in 2 cups of water for 2-3 minutes (on low flame). Drink this decoction for 2-3 times in a day for quick relief from cold.
- Take 1 small fined chopped ginger, 10-15 crushed basil leaves, 2-3gm cinnamon powder, 2-3gm black pepper into 1 glass of water. Boil them for 2-3 minutes in a glass of water. Strain the decoction and drink it while it’s hot. Repeat this process 2-3 times a day.
- Also, squeeze one lemon into a glass of lukewarm water and add honey to it. Drink this mixture 2 times a day. As lemon is full of vitamin-c, it will help to fight the free radicals in the body and increase the resistance of the body.
- Gargle with lukewarm salt water 2-3 times in a day to ease throat irritation.
Hope the information in this article helps you. And consult with a doctor- if you have fever/flu-like symptoms for more than 4-5 days or severe headache/body ache, returning fevers etc. And for any health-related information or help Contact our experts for free Ayurvedic consultation.